baslinux - [BL] Does anyone know ....

  • From: ljones <ljones AT lineone.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Does anyone know ....
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:25:49 +0000

Hi, can anyone answer the following questions;

1. How do I install Basiclinux 2.1 on a UMSDOS (just a plain dos based) partition? I'm running basiclinux on an old 8MB Pentium laptop . Speed isn't really that much of a problem - though I do know the laptop dosen't like ext2 much (it often stops with CRC errors, even from bootup :( . DOS partitons don't give any problems, however).

2. What do I need to do to install a file mamanger? I'd like to install a program called "xwc", which once came with older versions of linux. I also know this program requires "FOX" as well. BTW, a screenshot can be seen here: http://xwc.sourceforge.net/scrnshot.html

3. Can any programming langaugages be installed? I was thinking about this one ( http://www.arrakis.es/~ninsesabe/blassic/ ) . It's quite simple but when I tried to install it I could not find most of the libraries needed :( .

BTW, I've read in this mailing list about someone wanting to make a bootable linux CD. From memory this is pretty complicated - even making a mini ver. of linux that can run off floppy disk is pretty hard work :( .

Apologies if I've not responded to stuff before. I've been having a lot of spam problems (I'm just about on top of it now though). Thank you.

Slothpuck
ljones AT lineone.net