baslinux - Re: [BL] Booting BL from CD

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Booting BL from CD
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:17:54 +1300

Krzysztof Karwowski wrote:

> I want to boot BL 2.1 from CD, but I don't know how to
> do it. Can you help me?

To which, electronjunkie AT alltel.net replied:

> burn a bootable cd with a program like nero or some burning
> program so that it will boot into DOS and copy the BL 2.1
> unzipped files onto cd as well then boot from the cd into DOS

That sounds like a way to go. Make a bootable-DOS CD and boot
the ramdisk BL2 from there (using LOADLIN).

> and type the boot cmd to start linux.

If you put the boot command into C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT, it will boot
BasicLinux automatically.

If you want to boot a fuller version (HD installation) of BL2
from the CD, you will need to find out whether a CD can be
partitioned. If not, you probably won't be able to use LOADLIN
to boot the Linux partition -- you'll need to use LILO, or
whatever it is that bootable Linux CDroms use.

I think the Slackware 7.1 CD is bootable (I don't have a CD
drive that boots, so I can't check this). If it is bootable,
you might be able to copy the routine it uses.