baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing from Abiword

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing from Abiword
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:17:38 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> I have installed Abiword. It looks very impressive. But, of
> course, it wouldn't print to my HP 600 Deskjet.

Is it a postscript printer? If not, you will need to install a
filter to convert to whatever it is your printer understands.

> So, I have just downloaded lpr.tgz and apsfilt.tgz and will
> install these shortly. Will I need anything else ?

If your printer does postscript, then you shouldn't need
anything else. If it doesn't do ps, you will probably need
ghostscript (or some other ps-to-whatever utility). You'll
find the ghostscript package in /slakware/ap1. You might
also need the gsfonts package (in the same directory).

Your first step is to get lpd working (be prepared to do
a bit of climbing on the learning curve). Getting your
printer port to work, requires three insmods:
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod lp
Then you start the printer daemon: lpd

But before you do any of that, you will need to install the
lpr package (don't worry about the apsfiler for the moment)
and edit your /etc/printcap