baslinux - [BL] xterm

  • From: keesan AT cyberspace.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] xterm
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:02:30 -0500

>For your full screen xterm, you'll want to use the geom option
>"xterm -geom 150x50+0+0" or some such.
>(150x50 is the size, 0+0 is the position (ie the top left of your screen)
>
>You probably also want to change the font - use the -fn option
>e.g. xterm -fn fixed
>
>use xlsfonts to find out what fonts are available.
>
>Once you've found the font you like, adjust the size params to get the right
>size window.
>
>Hope this makes sense,
>
>Ian

I tried 150x50 - this gives full-screen with tiny fonts and 150 columns
and what I am after is the same size font I get in console with 80
columns, so I experimented with a copy of the xterm that Steven provided
for icewm. I changed it to -geom 77x25 and left the rest alone and then
loaded X in 640 resolution (by increasing color depth startx -- bpp24).
This pretty much fills the screen with a larger font.

I made an ice menu entry by then adding -sb -e kermit
to run Kermit with a scrollbar. I tried changing from vt102 to vt300
but this messes things up (when using Pico/Pine it displays one line down
from where you are, same for lynx). So now I can run kermit by typing
startx24 (I made an alias for this)
and then selecting kermit from the menu (Ctl-Esc, down arrow, enter).

Shift-PgUp or -PgDn lets me scroll.

Thanks.

  • [BL] xterm, keesan, 12/19/2003