baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: another spelling error (fwd)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: another spelling error (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:50:16 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> How do I get either of the flwriter programs to show up as something that
> can be run from the icewm desktop? (am I using the correct terminology?)

Are you talking about desktop shortcut icons, like you see on Win (e.g.,
"My Computer," "Network Neighborhood" and the like)? I know some versions
of Icewm (and other window managers) support these, but I think it's a bit
more of a challenge to set them up. Probably it involves specifying in
the config file the location coordinates of the wanted icon, maybe its
size, and the location of the graphic. This is speculation though, since
I've never done this myself. I'm also not sure that the Icewm that comes
with BL (it's an older version) is capable of this.

> (I did not use installpkg because I read that These are not Slackware
> packages ; so I just put the program in /usr/local/.bin )

Minor correction: that's almost surely /usr/local/bin (without the period
[/bin instead of /.bin]). Directories with the period in front of them
are hidden directories. Not trying to be nitpicky, just to pass along
what might be useful information.

> Is there an equivalent to the Windows 98 "Start -> Run" process?

The only universal equivalent I know of is: open a console and type the
name of the process you want to run. That said, there are desktops that
mimic Win functions like this - I think KDE is one. There is a "run" item
on the "start menu" (or whatever they call it in KDE), which opens up a
little window with a text box in it where you enter your command. There
is certainly a way to set up something like this in Icewm, but exactly how
I cannot say. Sindi described how to add an item to the menu: you just
have to figure out which item and how to make it look like the Win "Run"
dialogue box.

James