baslinux - [BL] Re: Ted problems

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood AT shentel.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: Ted problems
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 04:21:01 -0500

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:10:35 -0800, Day Brown wrote:

> James Miller wrote:

>> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Day Brown wrote:

>> > First off, most of us compose text for this screen, not to be printed on
>> > paper.

>> Speak fer yerself. I need a wsiwyg wordprocessor: I often have to write
>> things for publication with advanced formatting (footnotes, centering,
>> block indentation, varying fonts and languages), and something that can
>> faithfully display what the printed page is going to look like saves me
>> time and energy.
> There are a kazillion wsiwyg to choose from. I aint saying to abandon
> them.
> I only say, that from the standpoint of text presentation on this
> screen,
> these wsiwyg tools are not very well adapted.

It is my understanding that not many printer drivers have yet been
developed for Linux platforms for printing graphical fonts. Nowadays
many printer manufacturers are producing and marketing printers that
are very purposefully designed to be totally unusable with any operating
system other than Window$.

Sam Heywood