baslinux - Re: [BL] environmental variables

  • From: Day Brown <daybrown AT hypertech.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] environmental variables
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:06:15 -0800

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> Jim says he was able to use the 'back quotes' with name=`function` to set
> an environmental variable equal to $name. But he thanks for you giving
> him another way to do this. He is really learning a lot from basiclinux.
>
> He is trying to find more information on dosemu and says less does not
> work on HOWTO files. This is probably because we have not installed
> howto.tgz. He wants to get his DOS text editor to work under
> linux rather than rewrite it in C instead of assembly language.
Waitaminit. If BL boots from dos, then why not use dos to edit, and not
worry about a dosemu? But the other thing is- can we download the
man/info/howto Linux docs in a form you could access with a DOS text
editor?

I routinely cut & paste from the dos README.DOC files what I need to run
an app, and discard the rest, so that when I have to RTFM, I dont have
nearly so much manual to wade thru. The text mode text editors that I've
seen for linux, dont even have color pulldown scrollbar menus.