baslinux - [BL] Basiclinux and OpenOffice

  • From: Nomdo Jansonius <nomdo AT dds.nl>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Basiclinux and OpenOffice
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:00:24 +100

It's amazing: it is possible to run OpenOffice on Basiclinux! My current
computer, a 120 MHz pentium with 1 Gb HD and 64 Mb RAM (upgraded three
days ago from 32 Mb using RAM from a broken computer: 0 EURO) can be
considered the absolute minimum for OpenOffice; Erkki was right. It
reminds me of running WP 5.1 on my 4 MHz XT in 1993. To start the program
takes about a minute. Once started, however, things go reasonably fast. I
selected OpenOffice 1.0.3.1 instead of 1.1 because 1.0.3.1 requires glibc
2.1.3 (in slackware 7.1) whereas 1.1 needs glibc 2.2.0. The installation
steps:

- installpkg glibcso.tgz (slakware/a6) and cxxlibs.tgz (slakware/a3)
from slackware 7.1
- download OpenOffice: OOo_1.0.3.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar (74 Mb);
give the file a DOS-friendly (8+3) name: oo.tar
- make sure you are root (as you probably always are in BL)
- copy the downloaded oo.tar to /tmp directory
- cd /tmp
- extract the file: tar -zxvf oo.tar
- now you have to start X and open a terminal (xterm)
- cd install (a subdirectory of /tmp)
- execute the setup script for a network installation: ./setup -net
(for installation directory I chose /root/oo instead of the suggested
/root/OpenOffice1.0.3.1)
- cd /root/oo/program
- execute the user setup script: ./setup
(select workstation installation; I chose /root/oo-user as user
directory; Java/Javascript is optional)
- delete the install files from /tmp

That's it!

To run the program, go to the program directory (cd /root/oo/program) and
start the Wordprocessor called Writer (swriter) or e.g. Impress, the open
source equivalent of powerpoint (simpress). For further details: see
http://www.openoffice.org

Kind regards, Nomdo