baslinux - Re: [BL] floppy to HS install

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] floppy to HS install
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:06:20 +1300

yjdelux AT rogers.com wrote:

> I am trying to install BL2 ona p 75 w/ 16 meg laptop
> with only a floppy and a pcmcia modem.

Do you currently have an operating system on that system
that can use the modem?

> now me being a newbie is this possible

Yes.

> and if so please give me a step by step how to thanks mike

You'll need a bootable DOS (or win9x) partition plus some
spare room for a Linux partition (or two). There needs to
be space on your DOS partition to hold (temporarily) the
Linux installation files -- 20mb should be comfortable.

Use your modem (if the existing OS that can use it) to get
bl2-10.zip onto the laptop. Otherwise, split the zip file
into two parts and use a floppy to move them. Once the
ramdisk version is working, transfer the HD installation
files to the DOS partition using the same method.

If you let me know which method you are using, I can provide
more details.