baslinux - Re: [BL] openoffice and basiclinux >>I would like to try openoffice because I need a program that is >>able to make a powerpoint-compatible presentation. Openoffice >>Impress is supposed to be able to do that job (according to >>openoffice website).

  • From: Nomdo Jansonius <nomdo AT dds.nl>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: ruohtula AT netscape.net
  • Subject: Re: [BL] openoffice and basiclinux >>I would like to try openoffice because I need a program that is >>able to make a powerpoint-compatible presentation. Openoffice >>Impress is supposed to be able to do that job (according to >>openoffice website).
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:55:03 +100

>Yes, it really can do that. OpenOffice's PowerPoint compatibility
>is impressively good. But.

That's good!

>>I've an old pentium with 1 G harddisk. 400 MB for DOS and 100 MB
>>for Linux Swap leaves 500 MB for Linux itself. Presumably 500 MB
>>is insufficient space for SuSE/RedHat? Moreover, I like the
>>basiclinux concept: start small end big.

>You did not mention your RAM size. It is critical.
>The problem is that OpenOffice is a memory hog. If you have less
>than 128Mb of RAM memory, I do not recommend trying it, because it
>would be very, very slow (keeps swapping). I have tried the Linux
>version of OpenOffice with a 166Mhz Pentium MMX and 128Mb RAM,
>and also with a 233Mhz Pentium II and 64 of RAM, and the second
>configuration was basically unusable. The first one also required
>patience, but it was not impossible.

RAM size is 32 Mb, CPU 120 MHz. As a DOS user (BasicLinux where DOS fails
to do the Job) I never realised that 32 Mb could be insufficient. I could
buy additional RAM, but the CPU remains rather slow (the comparison of
your two configurations, however, suggests that RAM is more important
than CPU-speed). Did you use BasicLinux with openoffice or another Linux?

>The program also requires abour 200Mb of disk space (and temporarily
>more during the installation). So I'm afraid you need a bit larger
>computer for OpenOffice. I think a 233Mhz Pentium II processor
>with 128Mb of RAM and about 500 Mb free disk left after Linux
>installation would be about the minimum configuration for a
>productive OpenOffice system.

I do have about 500 Mb of disk space for Linux. After installing
BasicLinux including X and e.g. netscape 4.7, there should be still more
than 400 Mb left. Is it possible to install only Impress (the openoffice
powerpoint) instead of the whole package? I do not need the
word-processor, spread-sheet, etc. If that is possible, then 400 Mb
should be sufficient.

Thanks, Nomdo

  • Re: [BL] openoffice and basiclinux >>I would like to try openoffice because I need a program that is >>able to make a powerpoint-compatible presentation. Openoffice >>Impress is supposed to be able to do that job (according to >>openoffice website)., Nomdo Jansonius, 11/17/2003