baslinux - Re: [BL] nfs on BL2.1

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] nfs on BL2.1
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:14:22 +1300

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I got the TCPIP1.TGZ and (I think) installed it on both
> computers running BL2.1 from hard drive.

You only need to run the NFS server on one computer.

> I was up until 2:30 last night (morning) trying to get
> mount -t nfs othercomputer:/shared-directory /mnt
> to work.

Assuming you are on 192.168.1.2 and the server is running
on 192.168.1.1
-------------------------
mount 192.168.1.1:/ /mnt
-------------------------

> (it refused, I forgot the exact message - not allowed, or whatever?)

Probably a permission problem. The NFS server checks for
permission in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/exports.

> As of now, I see that /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is zero bytes ??

That's strange.

> Should I (how?) remove (what?) was installed from tcpip1.tgz

No.

> are there configuration files to edit?

Only on the NFS server (eg. 192.168.1.1):

/etc/hosts.allow
-----------------
ALL: 192.168.1.2
-----------------

/etc/exports
-------------------
/ 192.168.1.2(rw)
-------------------

> If I say rc.inet2 the messages say

Most of rc.inet2 is unnecessary.

> ./rc.inet2: /sbin/mount: No such file or directory

And (like the the Slackware pcmcia script) it is looking
in the wrong directory for a basic binary (mount).

The NFS daemon (nfsd) requires two other daemons be running
(portmap and mountd). So, to start NFS, I do this:
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd