baslinux - Re: [BL] Mounting Win/DOS HDs?

  • From: Ian Scott <yane AT m-net.arbornet.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mounting Win/DOS HDs?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:05:23 -0400 (EDT)

> ATAPI device hdc:
> Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
> (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x3a, ascq=0x01)
> The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
> "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
Your hdc device is a CD.
I guess you'd get funny errors like this if there was a dodgy CD in the
drive (or perhaps if the drive was empty)?

As Steven said, the logical partitions within an extended partition show up
in <>

> hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
- hda has one 'real' partition (hda1), followed by one extended partition
(hda2), which contains one logical partition (hda5)

> hdb: hdb1 < hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 >
- hdb has one extended partition (hdb1) which contains 3 logical partitions
( hdb5, hdb6 and hdb7)

I'm not absolutely certain I've got the terminology right with extended
and logical partitions, but I'm sure you get the picture. The problem is that
DOS is a bit limited and ony lets you have one real and one extended
partition,
so if you want more you have to 'fool' it by hiding logical partitions
within an extended partion.

Hope this makes sense,

Ian