baslinux - Re: [BL] basixlinux x on tp 600 laptop?

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] basixlinux x on tp 600 laptop?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:43:05 +1200

henry wrote:

> what is the appropriate xserver i must use to support the
> neomagic video cip on my ibm thinkpad 600 laptop
> id love to have x running with a nic res on it

I did a search and found the following:

Certain laptops will only boot zImage kernels. bzImage kernels
won't work. This is a known problem with the IBM Thinkpad 600
Support (accelerated) for the NeoMagic NM2070, NM2090, NM2093,
NM2097, NM2160 and NM2200 chipsets is provided by the XF86_SVGA
server. The NM2230 and later chips are only supported in XFree86
4.0.3.
1. Supported hardware
* NeoMagic 2200 (MagicMedia256AV)
* NeoMagic 2160 (MagicGraph128XD)
* NeoMagic 2097 (MagicGraph128ZV+)
* NeoMagic 2093 (MagicGraph128ZV)
* NeoMagic 2090 (MagicGraph128V)
* NeoMagic 2070 (MagicGraph128)

2. Features
* Full support for internal flat panels, external monitors,
and simultaneous internal/external displays.
* Complete set of Panel Resolutions supported including stretch
and centering modes for running lower resolutions on fixed
resolution panels.
* Support for depths of 8, 15, 16 and 24 bits per pixel.
* Hardware Cursor support to reduce sprite flicker.
* Hardware accelerated drawing engine for 8, 15 and 16 bit per
pixel modes.
* Fully programmable clocks in external monitor only mode.
* Robust text mode restore for VT switching.

3. Configuration

The driver auto-detects all device info included memory size, so use
the following device section in your XF86Config file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NeoMagic"
EndSection

or let xf86config or XF86Setup do this for you.

But if you have problems with auto-detection, you can specify:

VideoRam - in kilobytes
DacSpeed - in MHz
MemBase - physical address of the linear framebuffer
MMIOBase - physical address of the memory mapped IO registers

6. Driver Options

* "linear" - linear framebuffer mode (default)
* "no_linear" - banked framebuffer mode
* "no_accel" - software rendering only
* "hw_cursor" - hardware cursor requested (default)
* "sw_cursor" - software cursor only
* "mmio" - use I/O space via memory map (default)
* "no_mmio" - use I/O space directly
* "intern_disp" - enable internal display (default)
* "extern_disp" - enable external display
* "no_stretch" - disable stretching of lower resolution modes on panel
* "lcd_center" - center lower resolution modes on panel

NOTE: Stretching of panel image is on by default for lower panel resolutions.

So it looks like you should install xsvga.tgz. I suggest
you also install xset.tgz and run XF86Setup to configure
the SVGA Xserver.

If you succeed, please report back. I don't think anybody
here has tried this before.