baslinux - [BL] set vs printenv

  • From: Ken Martwick <kenm AT efn.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] set vs printenv
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

When I type "set" in BasicLinux (either 1 or 2),
one of the outputs is "LINES=xx", where xx is the num-
ber of lines of text on the screen. But, when I type
"printenv", LINES does not appear. Is this something
only "bash" knows? More to the point, can anyone tell
me how (inside a program), one can determine the count
of lines and columns in the screen display. Note that
these are not necessarily the values in the "termcap"
or "termios" entry for the terminal in use.
Ken Martwick