baslinux - Re: [BL] Fail message during installing in HD.

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fail message during installing in HD.
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:35:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > 3) How to setup the swap space in Linux. (Sorry, I am new to Linux).
> > First of all, should I make the partition as logical or primary in
> > cfdisk?
>
> Primary (if you have space). Set the FS type to "Linux swap".
>
> > Then what should I configure so that BL know there is swap
> > space exist?
>
> mkswap /dev/hdxx (this is done just once)
> swapon /dev/hdxx

Just a couple of clarifications, Steven. Do you have to format the swap
partition with ext2fs? Or can the computer use it no matter which
filesystem it has on it? Also, since I didn't include swapon in my
description, I'd just like to ask what, exactly it does. Does this just
make a newly created swap partition immediately available for use (so the
one need not reboot for a new fstab entry to be read)? Or is the computer
unable to use the swap partition at all if this step is not taken?
Though I've created many swap partitions, I've never gotten it down to a
systemtic process (I probably should be more systematic about it :) ).

James