baslinux - Re: [BL] Fail message during installing in HD.

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Fail message during installing in HD.
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 07:07:37 +1200

Kent Cheung wrote:

> 1) During installing the BL into HD (for booting from HD),
> I got so many "do_try_to free_pages" message. After many
> many re-try/re-boot, I finally get only one message:
> do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd
> Just curious what it is. I seem that it doesn't do any harm.

The most likely cause is a hardware problem. Perhaps
mis-matched RAM modules or an over-clocked CPU.

> 2) After I boot the BL (Both from floppy and HD), the
> keyboard freeze in the login screen. I need to reboot
> 3 times. YES! 3 times... then the keyboard come back.

I have this problem too with one of my computers, a Compaq.
It boots OK from a cold power-on, but locks up when I try
to boot after CTRL-ALT-DEL.

> I did have the kbd-reset in loadlin line.

As James suggested, remove the kbd-reset parameter and see
what happens.

> 3) How to setup the swap space in Linux. (Sorry, I am new to Linux).
> First of all, should I make the partition as logical or primary in
> cfdisk?

Primary (if you have space). Set the FS type to "Linux swap".

> Then what should I configure so that BL know there is swap
> space exist?

mkswap /dev/hdxx (this is done just once)
swapon /dev/hdxx

Execute "free" to check that your system sees the swap.