baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 does nfs? networking question

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 does nfs? networking question
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:36:52 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> 1) Does BL1.x do nfs, and if so how?

BL1 happily mounts NFS partitions (from NFS servers).
That capability is built in. It is also able to run
an NFS server, but that requires three daemons (which
can be added from Slackware 3.5).

> Is it compiled in, or loadable as a module, or . . ?

No module is required. For example, if the NFS server
is named maxwell, then the following command will mount
its /tmp directory (assuming maxwell gives you permission):
------------------------
mount maxwell:/tmp /mnt
------------------------
Then, when you look in your /mnt directory, you will find
the /tmp directory from Maxwell. Pretty simple, isn't it?

> Then, going over the FAQ, I ran across something saying
> you need to do route add -net 192.168.1.0 - so I did it.
> Walla! (pardon my French) - working network connection.
> Why this? What does this do to make networking possible
> and why is it not needed under BL2?

It's a kernel thing. When you ifconfig, the 2.2 kernel
deduces the probable route and automatically puts it in
the routing table. The 2.0 kernel does not do this for
you -- the route must be specified.