baslinux - Re: [BL] uClibc - small C library for Linux embedded systems

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] uClibc - small C library for Linux embedded systems
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:10:19 +0000

James Miller (office) wrote:

> a miniaturized C library being developed for embedded Linux
> Could this be of any help/interest to the BL project, Steven?

I looked at uClibc a while back and decided it wasn't the
way to go. All the binaries in BasicLinux would need to
be re-compiled on that library. And then we would find
ourselves in the same position as BL1 -- running a version
of Linux that is out of step with mainstream binaries.

> Seems like it might help the ramdisk version of BL, but
> would it also be applicable to HD installations of BL?

I could imagine a uClibc (or libc5) ramdisk version that
installs to HD by using Slackware packages (including the
full glibc2 package). In that case, however, very little
of the ramdisk version would actually go to the HD (since
most of the ramdisk binaries wouldn't work with the HD
libraries).

At the moment it seems better to keep the ramdisk and HD
versions the same. But I am open to suggestions.