baslinux - Re: [BL] icewm vs. virtual terminals

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] icewm vs. virtual terminals
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:26:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 May 2003 keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:
> Sometimes grex has problems for a few hours and perhaps you were just
> statistically unlucky? I just telnetted twice to grex with the telnet
> program provided with BL2 and connected immediately. Please try again.
> Did you try Windows telnet /Linux telnet /Windows/Linux alternately
> within a few minutes and Windows worked but Linux did not?
> If you still have problems I will report this to staff.

Never, at any time that I've tried logging in from a Linux machine, has it
worked. I've tried probably 20 - 25 times, at various times of night and
day. Every time I have tried from a Win machine, it has worked. I've
never gotten the "connection closed by freign host" message using a Win
machine (tried this 3 or 4 times probably). One of the individuals from
the IRC channel tried it from a Linux machine, then a Win machine,
apparently in immediate succession. It would fail (with the same error
I'm getting, I presume) from the Linux machine, but got a login prompt
from the Win machine.

I just tried logging in using ssh. I got an ominous warning, as follows:

me@mycomputer:$ ssh www.grex.org
The authenticity of host 'www.grex.org (216.93.104.34)' can't be established.
RSA1 key fingerprint is 74:4c:1e:86:04:2a:ac:ab:c2:cd:32:ff:19:76:80:fc.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? no
Host key verification failed.
me@mycomputer:$

Afterward, I answered "yes" and was able, finally, to login using ssh.
But telnet is failing under Linux. Maybe it has to do with the
authenticity problem?

James