baslinux - [BL] bl2-x and icewm penguin

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] bl2-x and icewm penguin
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:46:49 -0400 (EDT)

Since someone else had problems when they installed bl2-x before other
files (missing pieces of icewm) I took a look in the bl2-x package and
I found that it installed

.xinitrc (I have that, it included icewm)
.Xdefaults (I have that - with somethng about Delete key, I think)
XF86Config (hard to tell whether it installed that since I made my own)

/usr/X11R6/bin/icewm and icewmbg and icewmhint

It should have but did not install a lot of things in
/usr/X111R6/lib/X11/icewm - this directory is not there.
Which probably explains why no penguin.
There is a twm directory there.
------

I then investigated the backspace problem by replacing my
84-key keymap with the standard one.

The backspace key works. I don't know whether its not working has
anything to do with the partial bl2-x installation, but it probably
would not hurt to put a line in .xinitrc (before the window manager)

With this standard mapping my 84-key keyboard, surprisingly, works
in an xterm. It does not work in flwriter (an X program) so I put
back the other mapping.

Apart from setting up icewm to work with a penguin, what else is bl2-x
supposed to accomplish? Could I just leave it out of my X installation if
I don't want icewm? I ended up changing .xinitrc anyway, and .Xdefaults
may have something to do wtih my backspace problem, and I redid XF86Config
with the xf86config program (or whatever it is called). I know a lot of
work went into it, and it appears to work nicely for everyone else with
icewm, but I prefer the invisible ratpoison since I am only running one X
program at a time. I would rather have no window manager at all but as
Steven said, X programs work better with a window manager.
Flwriter crashes without one, and Opera made me use a mouse to load it
when I had no window manager (the Enter key simply would not work on an
OK button).

JP, thanks again for ratpoison.

Thanks to Howard for compiling zgv. I would appreciate a link from the
BL2-2 site to Howard's lynx and zgv.

  • [BL] bl2-x and icewm penguin, keesan2, 05/14/2003