baslinux - Re: [BL] Thinkpad 355c

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Thinkpad 355c
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 09:50:39 +0000

Todd wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad 355c. I am not sure if that is
> a 486sx or dx. Maybe its an SLC?

If it is an SX, SLC or DLC, you should use BL1.
If it is a DX (or has copro) and you have at least
8mb RAM, you can use BL2.

> I'd like to load the Basic Linux v.2 with hopes of
> running X and a gui web browser, as well as telnet,
> ftp, and maybe even mutt.

All of that can be done in v.1

> It has 259M of HD space

That's plenty of space.

> There is a Megahertz XJ10BT PCMCIA card for networking

You will need to install the pcmcia.tgz package (from
Slackware 3.5) for that to work.

> Can I do this on the Thinkpad 355c?

Most Thinkpads have an "inverted floppy drive change line"
(why IBM did it this way, I don't know). To fix it, add:
---------------
floppy=thinkpad
to the loadlin line in boot.bat (in your DOS directory)

> I believe I have 8M RAM.

With no coprocessor (SX/SLC/DLC) and only 8mb RAM, a full
graphical browser is not viable. You will be able to see
individual images, but full-blown graphics is just too
demanding. X uses the copro for screen rendering -- you
get a big performance hit when there is no copro. The
486DX (and every CPU after that) has a built-in copro.
Add-on copros are available for 386s and 486s.