baslinux - Re: [BL] BL, X11 and Graphics

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL, X11 and Graphics
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:47:20 +0000

David Moberg wrote:

> I'm trying to get 1024x768x65536 at an 85Hz vertical
> refresh rate. The graphics card I'm using is an ATI 3D
> Rage Pro, with 8MB of video RAM. Can someone please
> explain which packages I need to download and install,

You only need to install one package -- the Xserver
(driver) for the ATI Rage Pro. Here are the Xservers
available in Slackware 7.1:
xvg16 generic 16-color VGA
x8514 IBM8514
x3dl GLINT 500TX, GLINT MX, Permedia, Permedia 2
xagx AGX-016, AGX-015, AGX-014, XGA-2
xi128 Number Nine Imagine 128
xma32 Mach32
xma64 Rage: 3D, II, IIC, II+DVD, Pro, LT Pro
xma8 Mach8
xmono mono VGA, Hercules mono, HGC1280
xp9k Diamond Viper, Orchid P9000, STAR 2000
xs3 Trio32, Trio64*, Aurora64V+, and most other S3 cards
xs3v ViRGE, ViRGE/DX, ViRGE/GX, ViRGE/VX
xw32 w32, w32i, w32p, et6000
xsvga Trident, Cirrus, and other SVGA cards not listed above

So, it looks like you need the xma64 Xserver.
You will find it in /slackware/x1/
--------------------
installpkg xma64.tgz
You must use the installpkg command (or the pkgtool menu) to
install it. Otherwise it will not be initialized.

> and how to set up the resolution, color modes and refresh rate?

Execute xf86config.
Have fun. Configuring a hi-res Xserver is complicated. You
can easily go wrong. Trial and error should work eventually.
If startx produces a sick screen, hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE and
run xf86config again.