b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Judges 14:15 difficult ending

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Judges 14:15 difficult ending
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:55:37 -0700

To B-Hebrew friends:

When reading this passage, I found it difficult. The text in question, “הלירשנו קראתם לנו הלא” The last word in particular gave me pause. Is it from הלא or does it have an interrogative ה on the negative לא implying “or not?” Is this second idea found elsewhere in Tanakh?

Of course, my question—are there alternate readings for this passage, e.g. from the DSS?

Are both heh in the passage interrogative prefixes? If so, how to translate the passage?

I have some guesses, but your answers may show my guesses wrong.

Karl W. Randolph.

  • [b-hebrew] Judges 14:15 difficult ending, K Randolph, 09/27/2013