b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ינאצני

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ינאצני
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:03:01 -0700

Mike:

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com> wrote:
I'd like to know more about how ינאצני is used in Num. 14:11.

I understand it's used as a verb, and the mood is Piel, but is it masculine, feminine, or neuter?

The binyan is Piel, the modality (mood) is indicative, gender is masculine, conjugation is Yiqtol.

And is it singular or plural?

Singular, refers to the “people” as subject.

And why does the authorized version translate it into English as "provoke"?

Who knows? I gave up on the AV decades ago.

Michael Gerard Burke