b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ינאצני

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ינאצני
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 01:07:32 -0400

1. Structure of word: Y-NAAC-U-NIY, with Y = HIY, the actor of the
act NAAC, U = HU the group of actors of the act, NIY = ANIY, 'I',
the target (object) of the act, speaking for himself.

2. The authorized version follows the Targum, which renders it
מרגזין קדמי MRAGZIYN QADAMAY, 'making me angry'.

3. Some say NAAC is like נעץ  'to stab', but possibly with words.
If so, NAAC is a variant of NAAQ, NAAM, and NAAR.

4. Possibly "revile" and "spurn" are also good renderings.

Isaac Fried, Boston University