b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ינאצני

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ינאצני
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:25:34 -0400

On 9/24/2013 10:16 PM, Mike Burke wrote:> I'd like to know more about how ינאצני is used in Num. 14:11.

> I understand it's used as a verb, and the mood is Piel, but is it
> masculine, feminine, or neuter?
>
> And is it singular or plural?
>
> And why does the authorized version translate it into English as "provoke"?
> Michael Gerard Burke

There is no neuter grammatical gender in Hebrew. It's a third masculine plural. I have no idea why the AV rendered it "provoke."

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat

All opinions in this email are my own, and
reflect no institution with which I may be
associated