b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Xireq Compaginis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "JimStinehart AT aol.com" <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Xireq Compaginis
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:20:49 +0000

By George, I’ve think we’ve got it!

Um, no.

Jim, I have to say that none of your argument convinces me in the slightest. You highlight an interesting problem (the curiosity of a 'Judean' name before there is a Judah), but then embark on what can only be described as a sort of 'Scooby Doo scholarship' that seeks to unmask the Hurrian villain. And by George, the Hurrian would've gotten away with it, if it hadn't have been for that pesky Jim Stinehart.

You have not convinced me that there are Hurrians haunting the hallowed halls of Hebrew, nor that a Hebrew vowel point is exceptional and therefore significant for determining a Hurrian identity surreptitiously planted into an originally unpointed Hebrew text.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm just not convinced. The reasoning seems farcical to me.

Maybe we just have a text written in a time when there was a Judah?

As for hireq compaginis, I really don't see it here at all, but if pain persists, see your doctor.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia