b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] כְּעֵין אֶבֶן תַּרְשִֽׁישׁ - "like the gleam of a Tarshish stone"? (Ezek 10:9)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] כְּעֵין אֶבֶן תַּרְשִֽׁישׁ - "like the gleam of a Tarshish stone"? (Ezek 10:9)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:18:05 -0600

Hi Stewart,

I tend to agree with what David has suggested on this.  Although most translations incorporate something like "gleam" in their rendering of this phrase, I believe they are doing so rather dynamically, such that the absolute word is influencing how the construct is translated.  But more literally, the phrase would simply be, "as the appearance of a stone of Tarshish" (or however one might bring

vyvi(r>T; over into English).

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd