b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] כְּעֵין אֶבֶן תַּרְשִֽׁישׁ - "like the gleam of a Tarshish stone"? (Ezek 10:9)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stewart Felker <stewart.felker AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] כְּעֵין אֶבֶן תַּרְשִֽׁישׁ - "like the gleam of a Tarshish stone"? (Ezek 10:9)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 13:12:09 -0500

"Then I looked, and behold, four wheels beside the cherubim, one wheel beside each cherub; and the appearance of the wheels was like the gleam of a Tarshish stone."

Is there any evidence from the ancient Near East of cognates of עין being understood similarly as 'gleam'? I know that the eyes can be 'made bright' (from אוֹר) - cf. Ps 13.3. Further, I know that some Egyptian traditions envision the sun as an eye (of Ra, etc.) - but obviously neither of these are really parallel to the use of עין in Ezek 10 (and 1:16, as well).

Stewart Felker
University of Memphis