b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 9:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecc 9:14
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:53:04 +0100

Pere, my immediate reacion to tis verse is Yes it could be real. By virtue of a number of conclusions that I draw:
1. A great King it says, not a great army; meaning a well known and feared leader
2. I am reminded of historical moments in history in Europe where the army outnumbered the occupants of a small town and had to besiege it for months. Especially during the wars between the English and French in France during the early medieval period.
3. Even small towns could have had very inaccessible points of entry for a would be attacker, and maybe the 'great king' did not want to waste valuable men in a straight forward frontal approach, even though he could have been successful he might then have become resented by his troops for such an enormous sacrifice for such a little town where this little town was no threat to him strategically, maybe the twon had just insulted this king and the king was more concerned about his pride than with obtaining any strategic value from such a move.

Chris Watts
Ireland