b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Passive Qal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Rev. Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Passive Qal
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 01:09:40 -0700

Bryant:

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) in the Yiqtol conjugation, in an unpointed text, there are no differences between the Qal, Niphal, Piel, Pual, and hophal for regular verbs. So how do you know which binyan was used for this verb?

2) the reading of “be extinguished” is a quirk of the English language. If instead we read it as “their fire will not go out” we have an active reading of the text. No need even to consider a passive.

The reference to D(K synonym I understand has the meaning “to sputter out, die down (of flame)” used most often of its nine appearances in Tanakh for the sputtering out of a lamp’s flame.

Therefore, from the Hebrew, I see no need for a passive reading of the verb.

As for the theology, … well … let’s save that for another post.

Karl W. Randolph.