b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Daniel 7:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Scott Lawson <Lostntym8 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Daniel 7:9
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 23:44:01 -0700

At Daniel 7:9 the NET says: "While I was watching, thrones were set up, and
the Ancient of Days took his seat.
His attire was white like snow; the hair of his head was like lamb's wool.
His throne was ablaze with fire and it's wheels were all aflame."

Textual Note 25 on this verse says: "Traditionally the Aramaic word (neqe')
has been rendered "pure" but here it more likely means "of a lamb." Cf. the
Syriac neqya' ("a sheep, ewe"). On this word see further, M. Sokoloff "'amar
neqe', 'Lamb's Wool' (Daniel 7:9, "JBL 95 (1976): 277-79."

How much weight does this rendering have?

Also, I note that the LXX does not mention the flaming wheels of the throne.
Why the omission?
Also what is the purpose of wheels on a throne? I note that the verse starts
out indicating that thrones were set up, so would wheels be for the purpose
of making that process easier? Is there some ancient custom connected with
this or is there some other reason?

Scott Lawson

Sent from my iPhone