b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 7:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 7:9
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 01:49:12 +0000

Hi Scott!

I don't agree with the NET textual note on this. The noun נקא means 'pure' in the sense of 'unblemished' or 'perfect'. Cognates include the word for 'innocent'. It does not mean lamb's wool. I think the NET is misunderstanding the nature of the construct here. The _expression_ עמר נקא means 'pure wool'. The question then arises, where does wool come from. It comes from sheep. But the noun נקא itself does not in any way refer to sheep. So the _expression_ implies lamb's wool, but does not actually mean 'lamb's wool'.

The Greek version of Daniel has some very significant differences to the MT—not just in ch.7. The Greek version seems to be of a different 'pedigree', if that's the right term to use. I refer you to the introductory section in Collins' Daniel commentary (Hermeneia series) for a fuller discussion.

Wheels on thrones were common enough in antiquity. It seems to be a cross between a throne and a chariot—a kind of portable throne. You see them, for instance, in Ezekiel's vision of Yahweh (Ezek 1–2). The motif is taken up in coinage, too, where Yahweh is depicted on a wheeled throne that even has wings. See the following link for some images and discussion:

http://www.bibleorigins.net/YahwehWheelCoin.html

This kind of depiction (wheels and wings) is known from the Aegean world. Have a look at this link, for example:

http://www.bibleorigins.net/ezekielscherubim.html

But it seems clear that the idea of a wheeled throne is older than the wheels-and-wings motif. It seems to imply that the one who sits on the wheeled throne is one who brings swift change and/or justice to even the remotest places. Think of it as a kind of ancient version of Airforce One.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia