b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ($ (job 4:19)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ($ (job 4:19)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:57:46 -0700 (PDT)

Nir / Karl etc:

I quickly checked (while my 14 month old was screaming for me to pick her up)
my simple dictionaries for Akkadian, Syriac, Sabaic and Amharic.

Only Amharic had moth under the same heading as fire ?S(sibilant)(I don't remember if it was S or Sh).
Clearly I am no expert -  but my understanding is that Amharic has lost its distinction between aleph, ayin, heh, and chaet.
Hence it was with its equivalent of AeSh = fire.

My understanding for the base meaning for \S - \Sh is "to perform / persist at something"
Caterpillar's seem to be insatiable consumers, perhaps it has something to do with that?

David Kolinsky,
Monterey, CA