b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ($ (job 4:19)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ($ (job 4:19)
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:17:41 -0700

Nir:

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br> wrote:
karl,

really, looking a bit closer into the problem, i discovered that moth is indeed considered the
main destroyer of cloths. the difficulty in assessing the termites in this respect is that
today's clothes and houses are different than the BH standard.

My understanding is that Biblical era houses tended to have plaster interiors, and stucco exteriors. Therefore there wasn’t much in the way for termites to eat.

in general, termites eat cellulose: lumber, doors, furniture, cardboard, paper, wallpaper etc.
but as garments used to be made from cotton and linen mostly, i imagine that they would
destroy them too. to do this, they build thin tunnels along the house walls,
until they find cellulose.

But wouldn’t people notice those tunnels and destroy them?

http://laundry.about.com/od/laundrybasics/ss/Insects-That-Destroy-Clothes-Insect-Clothes-Pests_8.htm

what they excel at is the other property you mentioned: building houses.

True.

nir cohen

ps is ($ used in other semitic languages?

I noticed that not one word is used for “termite”, I wonder what it would have been.