b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] God's name

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rev. Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] God's name
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:10:18 -0700

Dear Rolf,

[Rolf]
In the extant LXX fragments , KS is a substitute for YHWH—this is not
speculation; it is a fact. When you say that KS in the NT manuscripts from
the second century onward, is an abbreviation of KURIOS, that occurred in the
NT autographs, you are guilty of speculation, because there is no manuscript
evidence for it. The evidence we have is that KS is a substitute for YHWH.

[Bryant]
1. Which extant LXX fragments? Please give the evidence with links to see
photos, if possible. I know that you gave some from the DSS, but that was
shown to be one manuscript that had 3, possibly 4, conjectural emendations.
Furthermore, since the DSS are most likely from the Essenes, I really wonder
how that proves your point since they were clearly a sectarian group with
isolationist tendecies that bordered on cultic status. This would indicate
that the group had some interesting interpretations that were not necessarily
mainstream.

2. How is KS as substitute for YHWH not speculation? Please explain your
reasoning here. Since the NT autographs are not available, how would this be
speculation when NT manuscripts from the 2nd Century AD onwards have KURIOS,
then KS with a line over it in several of the manuscripts but not all of the
manuscripts. Please give evidence to support your claims that KS appeared in
the autographs.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III