b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Would you give a command?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rev. Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Ruth Mathys" <ruth_mathys AT sil.org>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Would you give a command?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 18:22:13 -0700

Dear Ruth,

[Ruth]
'Imperative' is the label given to the verb form but there is a wide range
of meanings that could be 'actioned' by that form (and this differs from
language to language, of course).  In BH it's fine to ask God to do
something by using an imperative, isn't it?  I think the English imperative
is a very strong form -- I use it on my children but not my husband!  In my
English at least, it's really important for politeness to ask indirectly
("When you have a moment, would you be able to...?)  But that's not true of
every language or culture.  I remember being quite taken aback at first in
a cross-cultural situation when my peers used unvarnished imperatives on me
all the time.  But it's just how you do it in that language.

(Even in English, not every imperative form is a true command.  Think of
expressions like "Get a life!" or "Hold me back!")

[Bryant]
The problem as I see it is that BH versus Indo-European and the corresponding cultures.
Most of the cultures are patriarchal, while there are still strains of that in Western world, e.g. Britain and USA; even then there are still patriarchal areas.

If you look back at the cultures where they use "unvarnished imperatives," then you would probably see that their culture would reflect the hierarchy of unequality between male and female rather intentional or not.

Numbers 16.
Now, in this instance, Moses is confronted by Korah: Korah, Dathan and Abiram, Levites and Reubenites (interesting how the descendants of the firstborn Reuben are rearing their head over leadership; and the potential civil war over leadership by the Levites) over rulership and authority over the nation of Israel; 250 well-known men of the leaders of Israel. Moses and Aaron were challenged. The response of Moses is to fall down (worship, intercede, ?). He then issues several commands (imperatives) beginning in 16:5ff. Each time there is an indictment/charge, followed by a command. It is like a legal preceding is being used to set up the defendants, Korah, Dathan and Abiram and followers. I think what is given is mishpat. The latter part of the chapter indicates that that is what happened.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III