b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] cognate accusative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] cognate accusative
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:17:28 -0200

dear chris,

i may be barging into an open door since i have failed to keep up with the
VERY intense recent exchanges on b-hebrew - all fascinating!

anyway, it is my impression that this is indeed emphasis, but not for being a
cognate accusative, rather for the very fronting construction. the usual order
should be VO { V= $PtW, O=M$Pt )MT }, and the change to OV is a
signal of emphasize, in my opinion, independent of the root repetition.

emphasis is associated with fronting since at least gesenius, probably much
earlier. though ever since the 1980s there has been a shift to associate
fronting with other mechanisms, such as continuity. but focalizing fronting
is often indeed emphasizing.

in general, i believe that the cognate accusative construction is a technical
way to adjoin the adverb to the verb, when this cannot be done directly.
thus, it is impossible to just say )MT $PtW or B)NT $PtW as it may be
construed to mean "really judge" instead of "judge truthfully". thus,
there is no emphasis on the verb, though there is a focusing on the
adverbal unit (here, really a noun). maybe this "focusing" rather than
emphasis is what jonathan was aiming at when he says "broader than emphasis".

nir cohen