b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecclesiastes 3:11
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:34:30 +0300

Isaac Fried wrote:

A Hebrew root can not have the meaning of 'hidden'. What will happen in the upcoming eternity is not a greater mystery then where are my socks now.

I'm not sure about the meaning of this. Why does "the upcoming eternity" (theology) have to do with the limitations of the meaning of Hebrew words or roots? Additionally, what do we make of the root סתר, which certainly deals with something being hidden.

to hide something - להסתיר
hiding place - מסתור
hideaway - סתר
hidden - נסתר

How can it be impossible for Hebrew to have this meaning? What does this mean?

Signed,
Jason Hare