b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories of Hebrew writing embedded in Greek NT autographs - then redaction - today proposed emendation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Steven Avery <stevenavery AT verizon.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories of Hebrew writing embedded in Greek NT autographs - then redaction - today proposed emendation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:49:18 -0400

Hi,

Rolf
Dear Steven, Your posts show that you have a particular religious agenda, and that is against the rules of b-hebrew. So I see no reason why I should answer you.

Steven
Rather transparent, Rolf. The issues below on the previous post, the four questions, are about scribal habits and textual transmission. They are very difficult for your theories. And they answer any request from you for objective questions, questions that simply look at the evidence and theories from a textual perspective.

This post is carefully putting aside your earlier accusation and any bit of earlier rough-and-tumble. All that is bridged under. Your request is that all sides put away doctrinal perspective in the current discussion. Done.

===========

"If these issues are not addressed, then I think it is fair to say that your theory is of no merit".

===========

Why not try to address the issues of scribal habits and New Testament transmission?

How many New Testament authors do you claim all wrote with this very unusual textual idea of stopping writing Greek and inserting a Hebrew word, in the Gospel accounts and Acts and the Epistles and Revelation, in Hebrew script? About seven individuals would have to be involved in the same never-seen, unique and then vanishing-poof writing style.

Luke
Matthew
Mark
John
Paul
the author of Hebrews (if not Paul)
James 2:23 - Genesis 15:6

So you have six or seven authors independently doing the same highly unusual style, in about 12 books written over decades.

And then you have all the transmission problems below, the redaction syndrome, which you understandably do not want to address.

If this theory held water, you would analyze about 25-50 verses and show that they have far greater textual variation than other verses with kurios or qeos that can not have a Tetragram connection. It is rather obvious that your proposed redaction away from the Hebrew script should lead to much greater textual variation in your verses.

Since it appears that you do assert that your claim wants to be a type of scientific study, this would be a perfect way to demonstrate .. or not.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

Steven Avery