b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Marathon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Marathon
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 18:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

Isaac:

According to Strabo (Geography 3.4.9), Marathon Μαραθων was so called because of the fennel plant  marathis μαραθις  (Foeniculum vulgare) that grew there.

Kevin

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
423/493-4252 (office) 812/821-4512 (cell) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net