b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 00:08:24 +0000

Rolf,

Good questions! Thanks for asking—they are precisely the questions we need to be asking. The answer is no, the verbs do not mean something else in poetry. This is important, because we are still dealing with the same language—Hebrew. We need consistency, which is something that some models of the Hebrew verb have lacked. However, we are talking about a different register of language in poetry (it's not prose), and so words get used differently, even if the words  themselves (in this case verbs) are the same. This is the same in any language, really. It's not unique to Hebrew.

In poetry, you usually don't have an account of something or a scene unfolding, as you do in narrative, for example. Rather, you have an exploration of ideas, sometimes quite abstract. The lack of deictic markers for timeframes, therefore, give the verbs a little more freedom. One of the frequent techniques in poetry is stylistic variation, in which one colon within a parallel pairing uses a qatal, while the second colon in the pairing uses a yiqtol. This is still a definite/indefinite difference. The nature of parallelism and poetic devices allows for this kind of word pairing such that there can be synonymous parallelism but with clear distinction between the two lines. The issue is one of focus: yiqtol is unfocused, while qatal is focused. You might like to think of it as similar to a camera zoom: yiqtol gives you a wide angle shot, perhaps a bit fuzzy and not so sharp, while qatal gives you a hi-def close up with vividness.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia