b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz>
  • To: Rolf <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 23:54:19 +0200

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 03:16:49PM +0200, Rolf wrote:
> Dear George,
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is the meaning of the verb forms different in Hebrew prose and poetry?
> If the answer is affirmative, do we find a similar difference in other
> languages? (BTW, your clauses with examples of YIQTOL and QATAL are poetry).

> Best regards,
>

> Rolf Furuli
> Stavern
> Norway

Dear Rolf,

I'm actually convinced that the verbal forms in Hebrew are not _principially_
different
between prose and poetry but that there are certain forms which have special
meaning
in specific contexts.

Similarly you can find e.g. perfect "tense" in conditional sentences in
Arabic:
it doesn't denote the past tense (which is the usual meaning of this form)
but does have a specialized function here which "overrides" the usual one.

Best regards,
Petr Tomasek