b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 09:30:27 -0500

Can you explain what a "contract noun" is?
Thanks,

Jonathan E. Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, MO

On May 16, 2013, at 6:12 AM, George Athas wrote:

OK, Jonathan. But looking at how the words for 'eye' developed in languages later than Biblical Hebrew and/or in different language families doesn't really affect our understanding of Hebrew all that much. Those observations you offer are interesting, but don't change things at all.

The yodh in עין becomes a mater lectionis in constructed forms, but the derivation of this word in Hebrew requires the yodh to be there as a consonantal element within a consonantal cluster. It has come from original *ayn. The yodh is not dispensable. The constructed forms are the result of a vocalic shift in Hebrew which all contract nouns underwent.

I haven't done the search on this, but does עין ever occur in a biblical text without the yodh? If so, I'd be interested to know how many times.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia