b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 08:22:46 +0000

Not quite so simple as that, Jonathan. First, your take is possible, but certainly not easy or obvious. The connection with עין is not obvious—in fact, it's rather tenuous. There are two nuns in the root, not one, nor a single doubled nun. This makes it vastly different to the noun עין ('eye'), which requires the yodh in it and only one nun. There is no indication whatsoever of a yodh or a vestige of one in ענן. Furthermore, the information from HALOT needs to be dealt with if your view is correct. I'm not sure how you would counter those details with your theory on this one. I have no idea about the Swahili connection, so I can't comment on that, but the עין connection seems a stretch.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia