b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 125, Issue 24
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 23:18:44 -0500

Karl:

Sure, I see the point.  But your guess is as good as mine, since I could use your argument against the "looking into the clouds" option.  All things being equal, my guess retains both sound and sense, without looking into the clouds, since fortunetelling is a type of seeing.  This is supported also by "hineh" which btw is "ona" also in Swahili.  This word is a very primitive Bantu word. Add to that, Swahili's "look" verb is angalia,  which fits in the long list of universal eye words.  How can a Hamitic language and an IE language come to share a Guttural-Liquid root for the sense of "look"

This excerpt of the work by Isaac Mozeson might help:

The easiest  forms of עין       [A]YiN ( eye),to see are in Dravidian.  There’s the Hindi   aan kha (eye), similar in Guriati.

The L of EYELET is from oeil, the French eye. OCUL(AR), (MON)OCLE and OGLE also display the Noon/ N to L change seen in the connection between bank and Old English balca (bank), or that between man and male.  See a score of these Noon/ N to L shifts at Appendix B.  For the moment, consider guttural Ayin+L instead of the expected vowel Ayin + N.  In English we have guttural-L sight words like OCULAR, and OGLE. There is, for one example, the Mohawk eye, okara. ( Phil Van Riper assures us that this won’t  be the last of the Mohican cognates). That vowel-guttural-liquid comes out as glahz in Russian.

Reversing this guttural-liquid seeing term is a common verb of EYEING, with no IE “root:”  LOOK.

It's not hard to see EYE to EYE with the following versions of עין    [A]YiN or GHaYiN which contain 1) a vowel, CH,G or K, 2) a  Y, J or H and/or  3) an  N, M or L:

taken from www.edenics.net

Jonathan E Mohler