b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Some comments by the moderators

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <Kirk AT GrovesCenter.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Some comments by the moderators
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:42:16 -0400

On 05/14/2013 10:25 AM, nebarry wrote:
While all that you say is true, it would still be helpful for the moderators and other well educated Hebraists to point out when a particular posting is really idiosyncratic, particularly for those who may just be starting their Hebrew studies.
Barry,

All three of us have chimed in on discussions from time to time, giving our opinions about matters. The weight that others give to our opinions will depend upon a lot of factors. But I refuse to be any kind of oracle that others depend upon. I expect others to judge what I say based upon evidence, logic and a host of other factors. The fact that I did my doctoral work at the University of California, Los Angeles, with the great Northwest Semiticist, Stanislav Segert, is perhaps interesting and might get me a hearing. But that's about all. After all, I might not have learned anything! ;-)

But, yes, the correction of error is with the truth. And someone has to articulate it. In the end, we all have our own criteria for deciding what is true or not. And one man's idiosyncracy is another man's consensus. Sometimes I wish I had chosen natural science for a vocation... ;-)
--
Blessings,
Kirk