b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ענן and קסם

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ענן and קסם
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 09:35:37 +0300

Assuming that we're talking about the list of forbidden practices in Deut. 18:10-11, "qosem qesamim" is usually understood to be a general practitioner of magic, and "me'onen" is understood to be derived from " 'onah" – "season", "one who foretells the seasons", a fortune teller. Various commentators and translations give different nuances of these explanations.

Yigal Levin