b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] IE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "R. Lehmann" <lehmann AT uni-mainz.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] IE
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 10:46:28 +0200

When I read 'academic' impudence like this

to  sound scientific, and thus gain acceptance. We don't need
Germany's  academic approval any more, possibly the reverse.

and more, and no moderator stops such insults, I think it is best for me to leave this list in due time before next racist taunts will appear on-list.
As a German academic I don't need any approval of Mr. Fried, last of all in academic behaviour.

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, AcDir

On Tue, 7 May 2013 11:53:04 -0400, Isaac Fried wrote
will not be accepted, on emotional - ideological
grounds, by the  Europeans, the same way some people vehemently
reject the idea that  man evolved from ape. Will the English submit
to the idea that their  queen is speaking pidgin Hebrew?

2. The idea of Proto-Semitic was introduced into "Hebrew Studies" at
the Hebrew University in Jerusalem by professors who were educated
in  Germany and Austria, where they picked it from the immutable
prevailing belief in Proto-IE. They eagerly adopted it, I believe,
to  sound scientific, and thus gain acceptance. We don't need
Germany's  academic approval any more, possibly the reverse.

3. Aramaic appears to me to be but bastard Hebrew, and the genetic
relationship between Hebrew and Arabic is a mystery, and so any
search for a common ancestral language is, in my opinion, futile. I
dismiss "Akkadian" and "Ugaritic" as they are but tentative
languages, and of which I know nothing (and I don't think they are
worth the effort to "study".)

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Academic Director
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
D-55099 Mainz
Germany
lehmann AT uni-mainz.de
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/eng
11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH) 2013:
http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php