b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 21:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 21:8
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 13:06:21 -0700

Dear Kevin:

From: Kevin W. Woodruff <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2013, 3:00 PM

Karl:

We have two issues here:

One is the meaning of ya'ad which in the Qal means "to designate or assign", and in this case to assign a concubine

From where do you get this definition?

From uses within Tanakh, it appears to have the meaning “to call out to a meeting” whether small or large. Similar to the Greek εκκαλεω.

There is a variant reading here. One (the kethiv reading) is the negative lo which "not" and the other (the qere reading) is  the preposition and pronominal suffix lo' which means "to, or for him(self), which is the reading I choose here"

Yes I know about the Qere reading, but with my experience that about 90% of the time the Qere reading appears to be wrong (this is just counting the consonantal text, what about the vowels?), in an uncertain verse the odds say I should stay with the Kethiv.

It basically says that a man does not have the right/power/authority to sell a woman to foreigners but must redeem her, because of his faithlessness//treacherousness /deceitfulness with her by not marrying her. In an age when women were mostly chattel and goods, this legislation gave basic human rights to wives/concubines.

Even if we go with the Kethiv and the female slave has not been used sexually, doesn’t this verse give protection to such a female slave? That she’s not just goods that can be traded away?

But if we go with the Qere, how does the WHPDH fit in?

Kevin

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
423/493-4252 (office) 812/821-4512 (cell) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net